hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: BOSLEY- Good or Bad????
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/15/2007 12:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/15/2007 12:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
gh4

Dear Fellow Hair Loss Sufferers:

On February 10, 2006 I had my first hair transplant with the Bosley Medical Clinic. I'll admit now, that at the time, I was a bit naive about my options within surgerical hair restoration. Like many of the clinic's customers, I saw the commercial on TV, booked a sales consultation, and had the procedure within 6 months. I put thousands of dollars, months of effort and hardship, and the future of my hairloss in the hands of a doctor that I knew nothing about. So now, a year and a half later, how do I look and what happend?

To the suprise, I'm sure, of many of you, I look great and feel positive about my experience and results. Before the surgery, I was a Norwood 3, with cul-de-sacs in front, and slight thinning on top. Today, I have a hairline that I haven't seen in years and there is no visible thinning on the top. I had 1600 graphs transplanted, paid less than $5.00 a graph, and have a pencil-line scar in the back that isn't noticeable unless I shave my sides and back below a number 3. After two years now of researching hair transplantation and consulting with doctor's from some of the world's best clinics (Hasson and Wong, Dr. Armani), this seems to be the best that I could of hoped for.

What suprises me is the negative feedback that Bosley gets from hairloss forums. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to hear some negative feedback that is substantiated, but none that I've seen so far is. The only negative, substantiated feedback that I ever come across is from patients that had procedures 10, 20 even 30 years ago. Arguably, 10, 20, and 30 years ago, no one had the refined practices that they have today. So yes, Bosley and every other hair restoration surgeon who performed 10, 20 and 30 years ago did some bad jobs. Aside from that, where are all the men that had procedures in the last few years that post bad Bosley jobs that would warrant all of the negative feedback? If your out there, please post...for our sake!!!

Aside from that, for all of you that have procedures with Hasson and Wong, Dr. Armani etc, please tell us why your doctors are so much better. Yes, their websites boast things like "dense packing", "megasessions" and the "lateral slit technique", but from what I've seen, its just re-wording of the standard practices of most, respectable, qualified surgeons. Furthermore, I'm not seeing results, from fellow forum members or Hasson and Wong, Dr. Armani, etc featured patients that are any better than Bosley's.

What I'd like to propose then is this...if your a Bosley patient with poor results and a bad story, let us know...if your a Hasson and Wong, Dr. Armani patient with tremendous results, show us and tell us why your doctor's better (without all of the marketing fluff and re-wording).

I hope I dont come off as being negative or as trying to defend Bosley...I'm not. I only want to better understand the facts of why I should get my next surgery, if and when I need it, with a different surgeon. PLEASE HELP!

Best regards,

GH

TextText
 04/15/2007 01:19 AM

Author Icon
Farrel

How about this for a suggestion. Send me your pictures taken close up and under clear lighting and I will get a similar case/number of grafts from H&W and Alvi. I will then create a thread where people can rate which result is better, A, B or C.

Only I will know which is which and at the end of the vote it will be revealed who did which case.

I think it would be an interesting experiment. How about it?

-------------------------
Disclaimer - I am not a physician or an expert and my advice should not be considered medical/expert advice. - If you follow my opinions and/or advice you do so at your own risk.
 04/15/2007 01:43 AM

Author Icon
unsure
Regular Poster

I reckon that is an awsome idea farrel.
 04/15/2007 04:43 AM

Author Icon
road_runner
Prolific Poster

Farrel not a bad idea.

GH4 look forward to seeing your pics. If your post is genuine then I think this could be a good thread.

Also apologies for the suspicion if it is, it's just your language, certain obervations, the fact that you've not attached your own pics and that this is your first post does raise the question.
 04/15/2007 06:22 AM

Author Icon
its-only-hair
Prolific Poster

gh4, could you post your photos? Before ht, day after ht, etc?
 04/15/2007 06:23 AM

Author Icon
PB
Accomplished Poster

There would have to be immediate pre-op, immediate post-op and fully grown out pics...

I think it's possible to get a good result from Bosley, it's just a gamble as you don't know who your doctor is going to be. Going with one of the well known clinics named after the doctor running the clinic, you know exactly who will be performing your HT and what to expect. The chances are that you'll end up with a butchering with Bosley but there will be a good one every now and again. I definitely wouldn't risk going with Bosley - too big a gamble, too risky

My HairLossHelp Gallery

Edited: 04/15/2007 at 06:25 AM by PB
 04/15/2007 06:49 AM

Author Icon
zero
Accomplished Poster

I got hacked by Bosely back in mid 90s.

After I went to Dr. Wong for a repair...he told me that I got decent results from them!!! Imagine the guys who got their normal or below average HTs!

The doctor I had was older & claimed he was the one Bosely himself had perform the "good doctors" own HT.
After all the lies they told me, this may or not have been the case.

Bosely is to avoided IMO for their substandard results and unethical business practices.

best,
zero
 04/15/2007 07:11 AM

Author Icon
the B spot
Accomplished Poster

This will be interesting...... good idea Farrell.

This way we don't have to accuse gh4 of being a Bosley shill or accuse him of attempting to place his Bosley results in the same bucket as Dr Wong's or Dr. Armani's.

Of course, if he fails to produce some nice clear before and after pics........

Anyway, even IF gh4 is happy with his results....... it is only ONE doctor at ONE particular clinic.

What about the rest of the clinics?

We are waiting.

J

FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical. My opinions are my own and are not medical advice. Take care not to fall for a sales pitch from clinics who must smear other clinics to get business.
jason@shapiromedical.com

6721 grafts 2 strip sessions
1386 FUE grafts
8107 total
Dr. Ron Shapiro
 04/15/2007 07:57 AM

Author Icon
hairthere
Accomplished Poster

great idea farell. i think it's possible to get decent results from a bosley doc. however, like b spot indicated, it of course depends on the doc you get and i think it's more of a crap shoot, whereas if you go to h&w, you are definitely having one of those two docs perform the procedure. i think bosley also charges a bit more to cover their enormous advertising budget. plus, if things do go wrong with bosley, i would suspect it much more difficult to seek any type of restitution.

1st Ht Sept. 2006 Dr. Joseph Karamikian unknown # of grafts
Very unhappy with procedure

2nd Ht Nov. 2007 Dr. Alan Feller 3200 grafts

Edited: 04/15/2007 at 07:57 AM by hairthere
 04/15/2007 08:06 AM

Author Icon
tankmn
Accomplished Poster

This is a great idea!!

This is Bosley's posterboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdbXnsx9do

We will wait for gh4's pics and make an informed and educated decision.

tank

04/15/2007 09:11 AM

Author Icon
headbanger guy
Occasional Poster

Just to be honest, a future HT patient like me won't go to any Bosley simply because of the negatives I got from "many" forums like this. My point is, if indeed much research has been done, one will come across this forum. And I won't gamble going to Bosley after "that research."

But gh4 may have a point too, the negatives I found in Bosley are experiences decade/s ago. Or am I missing something (that even recent Bosley HT's are also below-par)?
 04/15/2007 02:31 PM

Author Icon
clayclay
Accomplished Poster

Who wants to make a wager on whether "gh4" ever returns to this thread?

Lines like, "dear fellow hair loss sufferers," and "like many of the clinic's customers, I saw the commercial on TV," are red flags for a shill.
 04/15/2007 02:39 PM

Author Icon
late bloomer
Regular Poster

Bosley Stinks!!!!! Here is why.....I am a recent patient, my procedure was in 2005. Carlson used mini and micrografts, large pluggy looking grafts with up to 7 or 8 hairs put very close to my hairline. He put a large double scar 1" above the old scar. They can't dense pack because they use large holes in the recipient area to fit their large plug grafts. He gave me valium, then after I was relaxed, talked to me about where I wanted the grafts placed. Now that I have been through a few procedures, I can say that about half of the grafts from my first procedure with Carlson, didn't grow.

The grafts placed in my left temple by Bosley where placed at too vertical an angle, they should have been put in at more of a lower angle so the hair dosn't stand straight up at the temple....like it does. Search my post, "recent Bosley patient speaks" for more details.

Stay away from Bosley, they are the Pizza Hut of the transplant industry. In fact, they are not even as good as Pizza Hut!
 04/15/2007 03:34 PM

Author Icon
Wax On Wax Off
Regular Poster

I had a friend who went to both Bosley & H & W and there is no comparison. Bosley sucks ass!!!!!!!
 04/15/2007 03:44 PM

Author Icon
Farrel

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to hear some negative feedback that is substantiated, but none that I've seen so far is.

Well the good thing is that gh4 asked for some of the negative feedback to be substantiated and it seems like his quest for substantiation has been addressed.

Disclaimer - I am not a physician or an expert and my advice should not be considered medical/expert advice. - If you follow my opinions and/or advice you do so at your own risk.
 04/15/2007 05:58 PM

Author Icon
Mr Spock
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: tankmn
This is Bosley's posterboy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdbXnsx9do.  tank

I watched that video.  The Bosley techs did not use microscopes to disect the strip!
 04/15/2007 06:30 PM

Author Icon
haleystudios
Prolific Poster

your exactly right WOWO..... i Bosley sucks ass.... and so does MHR....
I went to ARMANI, and i am seeing a bagillion times more hairs growing on my hairline than MHR
i dont think Farrel would be the onlly one to make the decision or could tell the difference between Bosely, and Armani, Hasson
and Wong, i think many of us could
peace out
 04/15/2007 06:48 PM

Author Icon
Abou
Accomplished Poster

Someone compared them to Pizza Hut. I think Burger King is more like it. One out of a hundred, the meal could be decent...
 04/15/2007 08:16 PM

Author Icon
Phil Mascallpen
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: gh4
Dear Fellow Hair Loss Sufferers:

I only want to better understand the facts of why I should get my next surgery, if and when I need it, with a different surgeon. PLEASE HELP!

If you're so happy then why are you considering another surgeon? Why do you want someone to "PLEASE HELP"?

You tell others to avoid all the marketing and fluff and your post is nothing but marketing. You don't even post pictures of your surgery. And if you do I'll guarantee they are nothing like the post-op and month to month progression photos of many of the members here.

Simply put, we NEVER see good quality documentation of Bosley work.

When a company has a long proven history of sleaze, well...
 04/15/2007 11:04 PM

Author Icon
gh4

Dear Fellow Hair Loss Sufferers,

Thanks for all of the views and replies...in 24 hours the post has recieved nearly 500 views and 20 comments, I get the feeling that the topic and post may have stirred up some feathers, this is a good thing! Before I reply, I'd like everyone to know that I do not work for, or recieve compensation from, Bosley or any other hair restoration practice or affiliated organization. I am simply a hair loss sufferer who is trying to find a solution. Step 1 in my solution was to get hair restoration surgery. I chose Bosley to perform that surgery. That may or may not have been a good idea. My hope is that through participation in this forum I can decide if Bosley was the right choice, and proceed with a second surgery, or locate a better doctor to perform my next surgery. If anyone is out there that experienced bad results with Bosley, please post. If anyone has had great results with H&W or Armani, please post. In addition, here are my responses to some of the recent posts:

Farrel: Your case study sounds like a great idea, and I will work with you in the next couple of days to get you the neccessary pics. Thanks for your interest and cooperation.

Road Runner: I understand your skepticism, however while this is my first post, I've been viewing the forum for two years now. I will post pics in the next few days and give you and the others an opportunity to tell me what you think.

Hairthere: I paid $4.50 a graph with Bosley, this seems to be competitive with other clinics. While Bosley publishes per/graph costs of $5, 6 or even $7, I learned that if you wheel and deal with them, you can get them down to $4.50 per graph. They'll dance around and tell you that your getting a great deal and that they might get fired for dropping the price so low...but they do it all the time. YES, this is BS...and you shouldn't have to wheel and deal for a medical procedure, and yes it makes one question the integrity of the clinic...buy fundamentally they are a typical service organization that relies upon making a profit. Also, I haven't seen anything to show that Bosley makes it more difficult to recieve restitution than any other clinic. If in this forum I can find a doctor that does quality work in a clinic without a "used car lot" atmosphere, show me the way! Thanks for you interest.

Zero: I'm sorry to hear that you "got hacked by Bosley back in the mid 90's". As others have posted, Bosley is a bit of a "crap shoot", your results depend on the clinic and doctor. Would you be comfortable sharing the doctor and clinic that you went to so that others can avoid it?

Clayclay: I DO NOT work for, or get compensated by, Bosley. And your right, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have gambled on Bosley. However, I think I may be a rare case that got some pretty good results from Bosley.

Late Bloomer: Sorry about your poor results, valid points. So its suffice to say that in your experience, the results from Bosley and Wong were quite different, and you recommend Wong?

Phil Mascallpen: I'm happy with my results from 1600 graphs...however I know now that it was un-educated, optimistic, wishful thinking to expect my problem to be solved with 1600 graphs. Even patients with the best results from the best doctors require 4000-8000 graphs to completely solve their problem, right? And I'd like someone to PLEASE HELP with direction towards a better doctor, who publishes better results, isn't that reasonable? Also, please explain which part of my post is Marketing. Is it where I said that I feel good about my surgery, I DO. Or is it where I said that the price per graph that I recieved is competitive, ISN'T IT? And please don't misconstrue my words. I never asked anyone to avoid the "marketing fluff", I only stated that the differentiating factors of the world's top clinics, from Bosley, is simply rewording of standard practices. Examples- Dense packing- respectable practices should already be "dense packing", whats new? Lateral slit technique, the added benefits aren't even proven yet, and it only works on a percentage of patients. Aside from these discrepancies, I'll get some pics posted. And your right about not seeing quality Bosley results, I haven't seem them either, but I also haven't seen dramatic results from the top docs, outside of their company website. If any of you are out there, Bosley or other, please post your pics.

Other posters: Thanks for your feedback, advice and participation.

Best regards,

GH
Statistics
31741 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 1090 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1095 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc